Across from Grand Circus Park, the Madison Theater was designed by architect Charles Crane and constructed in 1917 for movie-theater investor John Kunsky. Detroit’s first major motion-picture house, the 1,800-seat structure stood surrounded by a five-floor office building. In 2011, the property was purchased by Bedrock as the real-estate company’s premier investment downtown. The next year, the location was renovated by architecture firm McIntosh Poris to feature a multipurpose, multistory roofdeck, a two-story auditorium and a skylit loft, along with mid-level offices and street-level restaurant and retail space. Since known as The Madison, the landmark affords one of the area’s paramount event venues.
- Size: 64,000 sq. ft.
- Usage: Event, meeting, office, restaurant, retail